Thursday, October 12, 2006

I could be a thousandaire!

As a lot of you (all 5) who tune in regularly know I work full time, (mostly to pay a nanny) clean the house, do the laundry, cook most of the meals and have a husband who occasionally cooks and frequently (by obligation and threats) washes up. That is our arrangement and it works (for the most part) very well. I like doing most of the house work as it means that things get done my way. I am not saying this is the right way or the best way but it is the way that I prefer. It also means I get time off for good(-ish) behaviour to go to the gym.

However, tonight I saw a respite, a way to live in a £500,000 house, be given £86,000 annually by the government, take exotic holidays, drive a big car, send the kids to private school AND stay at home. Our local free paper The Mercury delivered us a front page story about a local scrounger (their words) operating under those very circumsdances. I asked Rups (he who knows all) how it was possible to claim £86,000 a year. His reply was "have lots and lots of kids and claim for all of them"

Sod that, I'm staying working. It is far easier.

3 comments:

Violet said...

so is this guy taking exotic holidays with his millions of kids or without them? Because that could be a deciding factor for me.

David B said...

You don't think they actually look after the kids they have? I have it on good authority that they hang them up on a nail on the living room wall until they turn five and then they let the run loose on the streets. Think of battery chickens but with fewer feathers.

Rach said...

i'm with you on that one, working full time is easier than stay at home mummy. Great post though