Tuesday, October 10, 2006

What price a life?

Who knows? I would say it is priceless times priceless but that is just me.

However the British government have just put a price on asking their troops to put their life in jeopardy. A £2,240 tax-free bonus.

This is not a post on the rights and wrongs of the war. This is a post about the men and women who make up the British services abroad.

Let's do the black and white of this:
Chap(ette) A: I am a member of the British forces in a desk jockey or a trainer role paid X (minus the usual tax, National Insurance and Health/Wealth contributions) by the British army to sit (march) somewhere in the UK doing my job. The biggest dangers to my well-being are a bee-sting, being charged by an angry bull (should I be daft enough to wander into a field containing such a beast)or contracting the common cold.
Chap(ette) B: I am somewhere miles away from home, be it Iraq, Afghanistan The Congo, The Lebanon, Northern Ireland or other such desirable tourist destinations There is proven and presidented danger to my life and limb. I am to be paid X (minus the usual tax, National Insurance and Health/Wealth contributions) plus £2,240 Oh whoppee-*bleeping*-doo.

People who are sent abroad on active duty are expected to pay tax on their earnings? Talk about being f***** right over for your dedication. The Irish army get more annual extra earnings for accompanying Securicor vans to and from the banks.

It is a good job that the services are a vocation for the majority of people who join them because no-one would do it for the money.

Troops, try not to spend all your new-found wealth on wine, (wo)men and song.

3 comments:

Violet said...

I get what you're saying but being in the armed forces is a job, and putting your life on the line is part of the job.

It's just danger money.

Southern said...

I was in the U.S. Air Force for nearly 7 years. It's slave wages for American military, too. I guess that's pretty much par for the course in any military outfit on the planet. It sucks.

PastyWhiteBoy said...

I'm here in Afghanistan and have worked with with your chaps and find them very good at what they do and a pleasure to be around.